Saturday 3 April 2010

a love of all things Burton

In early January, whilst in the throes of finishing my dissertation, I left this beautiful country all covered in snow and hot footed across the globe to a favourite city of mine. New York.

Having been before and done a more tourist-led trip, this time I was determined to fulfil my desire for a little artistic culture. A lover of Frank Lloyd-Wright architecture, the Guggenheim was most definitely on my list of places to visit and I must admit, it simply didn't disappoint.

One of my favourite film directors, it has to be said, is Tim Burton. Having been buzzing with anticipation and excitement of a year long wait for his fast approaching Alice in Wonderland film, I couldn't visit New York, without heading to the Museum of Modern Art where a fabulous exhibition of Burton's art work, film, poetry and costumes were on display. Not only did I fall in love with this museum for its Burton exhibition, but also it held some of the works by my favourite artists including Jasper Johns, Kandinsky as well as Andy Warhol, favourites of mine throughout GCSE and ALevel art. This one building was purely my heaven (although I shall never love it in the way I do the British National Portrait Gallery!)

Finally, I ended my trip on a tour of the upper side of New York, which appeared to be rather musical. Not only did I hear all about the Strawberry Fields memorials to John Lennon in Central Park, I saw where Yoko Ono resides as well as the place where the awesome Lennon was unfortunately shot. Having had a highly influenced musical upbringing from my parents, my love of the Beatles is an ever growing one, this spot was a rather emotional one.

An amazing city, which will always have a special place within my heart. Here are just a few of my photos.












No comments:

Post a Comment