Wednesday 15 September 2010

The Wrong Trousers

This is, without doubt, my most favourite time of the year.
Although 'this time of year' does in fact, not only come around once, but twice, there is just something, to me anyway, about the arrival of the new Autumn/Winter collections. And this season, this Autumn/Winter is even more exciting than usual. Maybe it's because I enjoy the idea (and process) of layering up in winter, may it is my love of tweed (and an ongoing, everlasting love affair with my leather jacket) or perhaps it is because in truth I actually prefer the cold. Whatever the reason, this new season's collections, magazine layouts and the opportunity to reinvent oneself for the foreseeable future fills me with a feeling of excitement.

There are certainly many trends that have caught my attention and imagination, however, there is one that started my infatuation for this season nicely. Trousers. Fabulous. It's about time the infatuation with leggings deflated. Whether long, wide, cigarette, tuxedo, harem or otherwise. Trousers were up and down the catwalks.
As a self-confessed tomboy, finding a suitable style for autumn should be a relatively easy task, no? No. There are plenty of fabulous options, as always high end are the better, with beautiful fabrics and better fits, however the high street too is awash with some awesome pieces. Which if like me, your sole current purpose for working is to pay for costly unpaid internships. The high street may just be the answer.

Now, I am aware that we are only a small part of the way through September and therefore styles are still set to come in (trust me, I tell my customers this information often enough - I should know! However, the simple fact is, I am inpatient.
So, in a (few) vain attempt(s) to find that perfect pair of trousers to take me through this transitional period , armed with my knowledge on this season, to the high street I have ventured. Unfortunately, to no avail.
Here is where a problem has arisen, when you are as fussy as I am and have the ability (just not the time) to make, finding my perfect pair has been an issue. As someone who's current trouser collection is rather on the thin side, extending my wardrobe, would be preferable and as I keep being reminded, I am no longer a student, therefore need a more grown up, professional wardrobe. So this was where I headed. However, of the styles I have chosen, I have been left rather frustrated. On the peg, awesome. On me, not so. Are they supposed to sit on your hips, or are they high waisted? Should that bit, really be there? And don't even get me started about the poor fit around your, ahem ... lady business... Let's just say, I know for sure, trousers are not supposed to sit like that.
Although there have been some pretty good candidates, none have so far survived being taken back. Although yes, I do have long legs, I really didn't think finding a pair of trousers would be so complicated.
I am slowly loosing the idea of trousers being my answer to my new wardrobe problems. Maybe I should just stick to my marriage with my jeans, after all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment