Friday 11 June 2010

A Single Man


As always I find myself to be behind 'the times'. On this occasion, my ever growing To Do list had thus far prevented me from watching Tom Ford's 'A Single Man', however, finally this evening, I got around to it.

After reading a few reviews, and hearing many a comment throughout the studios, I was thoroughly looking forward to watching this film, if some what dubious about the amount of pretension that the film could behold. However, I thought it was well cast, Colin Firth was absolutely breath taking as lead George Falconer and the film, as rarely seems to happen more recently, kept my attention from start the finish.

Based on the book by Christopher Isherwood, a rather sad story of lost love and how to deal with the impending pain, the friendship between Firth and Moore in the film is infectious but again another angle of lost love, though unrequited rather than through death.

A Single Man
Image from the film, sourced from guardian.co.uk


The film is a beautiful set of flash backs and current happenings in one day in Falconer's life. The soundtrack, which, in my opinion set the mood for the film fabulously, was melancholic but spine tingling. I also loved the use of colour, the monochromatic images, juxtaposed beautifully against the images of bland colour where you could feel Falconer was disconnected with his life, which were in total contrast to the gorgeous use of colour in the moments when Falconer felt a connection to the world.

Many a beautiful male, who all could quite happily be cast in one of Tom Ford's commercials, (I'm sure I've seen Nicholas Hoult floating somewhere around there before...!) However, I am most certainly not complaining. I am a great lover of Ford's work, it is undoubtedly always aesthetically pleasing and this film is certainly if nothing else a beautiful picture to watch. It just so happens that it contains a wonderful cast and a the script is gripping and interesting.



Nicholas Hoult in a Tom Ford Eyewear Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment